Thursday, January 5, 2012

*Party Girl* is Still My Favorite Movie About Librarians

Image from MoviePad.

I'll say it again: Party Girl is still (and will likely forever be) my favorite movie about librarians. You can have Noah Wiley, Katharine Hepburn, and Rachel Weisz. All I want is Parker Posey as Mary, a party girl who decides what she really wants from life is to become a librarian - MLIS and all. Why do I feel this way? A few things come to mind.

First, the fashion is as much a character as Mary:

Image from NylonMag.com


Second, the music is deliciously mid-90s:



Finally, and most importantly, this movie is fairly realistic in its portrayal of the profession. Sure, there's a rom com plot, but there are *gasp* real librarians. They come in different shapes, sizes, ethnicities, genders, ages, etc. There's discussion of master's programs, the relative merits of working in different kinds of libraries, and the script writers even included reference interviews.

For my money (and I mean that literally since I own it on DVD) this is the best movie about librarians out there.

What do you think? Is this your favorite? If not, what is?

No comments:

Post a Comment