Tuesday, October 16, 2018

168 Hours

Just a small update today. I'm trying to respect my limits, after all. Keep reading to understand why I'm so interested in this...

You see, I've been thinking a lot lately, for many many reasons, about how I spend my time. There are 168 hours in a week and I know I spend too much of it focused on work as well as too much of it frittered away on nonsense.



I've especially been thinking about work/life balance, which is something I know most of us find a challenge. Someone suggested to me that I work out what I think a balanced week would look like for me - how much work, how much time with friends, how much time pursuing spirituality, and so on.

Here's what I've come up with so far (with help from a couple of friends) for my ideal week. Also, please note that this is in no particular order and that this is a work in progress.
  • Sleep - 56 hours
  • Work/Professional (including this blog!) - 55 hours
  • Friends/Social - 5 hours
  • Volunteering - 1 hour
  • Entertainment - 14 hours
  • Creating/Creative Pursuits - 7 hours
  • Chores - 7 hours
  • Health/Exercise - 7 hours
  • Spirituality/Buddhist Study - 7 hours
  • Cat Time - 3.5 hours
  • Learning - 4.5 hours
  • Uncommitted - 1 hour

And here's what I put in my bullet journal to help me keep track of how I'm doing:


There is already a lot of, and can be even more, overlap between categories. Going to a conference would be professional time but also learning as well as spending time with friends. Lately, I've been knitting while watching television, so that's creating and entertainment. And I've made a lot of friends at the place where I volunteer. I guess for me, this isn't as much about discrete categories and delineating my time as it is about being intentional and mindful with where I put my energy and attention.

I know this is a blog about libraries and librarianship, but I also know that most of us in helping professions tend to put too much of ourselves into the job and not enough into the rest of our lives.

Well, it may not be "most of us", but it is a huge percentage of the people I know in this field, so I thought I'd share. In part, I'm sharing as a way to keep me honest about this new goal of mine. However, I've also got an accountability buddy with whom I already shared this idea and we've decided to check in with each other about it on a regular-ish basis. So I guess mostly I'm sharing this as a way to help y'all, too.

Let me know what you think? Is this something you might try? Are you already doing something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment