Thursday, April 28, 2016

Interview Post: Netanel Ganin




Biographical
Name?
Netanel Ganin

Current Job?
I work at Brandeis University as a cataloger (Hebrew specialty).

How long have you been in the field?
I got my first library job as a student employee in 2005, and my first professional job in 2009. I graduated Simmons College with my MLS in 2015.


How Do You Work?

What is your office/workspace like?
We have an open office which has its pros and cons. If you need to check-in about something real quick, it’s easy. The downside is that you hear everything that happens which can be awkward.

How do you organize your days?
I’m a proponent of task lists. I have weekly tasks, monthly tasks, and daily tasks, and three separate lists to keep track of them.

What do you spend most of your time doing?
Well, on paper I split my time 70/30 between cataloging non-Hebrew language material, and Hebrew-language material. Certainly cataloging the Hebrew resources takes longer (less copy exists, the transliteration takes more time). Beyond the actual cataloging, I’ve recently been creating NACO/SACO (Hebrew/Judaica funnel) records, and taking on new projects as they come up. Some of those include: working with Zepheira/Atlas on a linked data pilot for my library’s special collections, and updating headings/names in our local catalog (5958 so far).

What is a typical day like for you?
  • Catalog a bunch of Hebrew books (we get bi-weekly shipments and I whittle ‘em down);
  • Catalog a bunch of English books (these roll in endlessly, and we prioritize reserves and patron-holds);
  • Attend a meeting;
  • Work a bit on any in-progress special projects going.

What are you reading right now?
I’m currently listening to Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I recently finished listening to A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab and All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. I’m a big audiobook fan; I listen on the train, while doing chores, and on walks.

What's the best professional advice you've ever received?
Ask questions, look things up, ask more questions. It’s not a specific piece of advice, but it’s guided me well.

What have you found yourself doing at work that you never expected?
So far...no negative surprises. I’m enjoying being a Serious-Beans cataloger and that, in-of-itself, is a pleasant surprise.


Inside the Library Studio


What is your favorite word?
Catacombs? I don’t know. I just picked one that I like the sound of. I like words a lot.

What is your least favorite word?
Indescribable. Because you just did.

What profession other than your own would you love to attempt?
I used to be play in bands (here is some evidence of that):



If I had the time to play in bands and accomplish all I want to professionally, then I would!

What profession would you never want to attempt?
I would never want to try anything with like, life and death on the line. Bad metadata can be cleaned up but doctor-biz? That’s too intense for me.

Everything Else

What are you most proud of in your career?
It isn’t something I’d ever recommend anyone else do (many mistakes were made along the way in both execution and planning) -- but the fact that I actually got that project of mine, Emflix up and running from scratch is my proudest career-accomplishment to date.

If you're willing to share, tell about a mistake you made on the job.
I was participating in a big library shifting project, and I accidentally shifted about 5 shelves worth or so backwards.

When you aren't at work, what are you likely doing?
I’m an avid media consumer and am always down to talk about the latest episode of m’shows. I enjoy latchhooking, playing bass, and working on professional development (i.e. blogging and reading, and practicing).

Who else would you like to see answer these questions?
Jessica Schomberg! (@schomj)


Netanel tweets at @OpOnions and blogs at I Never Metadata I Didn't Like.

No comments:

Post a Comment