Thursday, April 2, 2015

Just for Fun: Big Hero 6

There's one thing I want to make clear up front: I don't love Big Hero 6 unreservedly, but the reasons I don't love it are major spoilers and I know there are lots of you out there who have not yet seen this movie. Instead, I want to tell you all the reasons I do love this movie. Mostly because I want more people to get it when I make a Big Hero 6 joke, which I seem to be doing a lot.

Baymax


So many things to like about Baymax. It is kind and competent, friendly and reassuring, but most of all Baymax is endearing. I know I tend to get pretty attached to the non-human characters in animated features, but how can you blame me with Baymax? And that short clip above? I did that fistbump many times at ACRL and I'm pretty sure most people just thought I was weird. Now you all know why! Bah-lah-lah-lah.

Easter Eggs


There are lots more than that Lilo & Stitch shout out (and you may remember how I love that movie), but I don't want to share too many here. After all: spoilers.

Science


Well, yeah, it is a bit more science fiction than fiction, but it makes science look cool.

Representation


Asian Americans? Check. African Americans? Yup. Hispanic Americans? Uh-huh. Women in science? You betcha. And I know that it's not perfect (there's some whitewashing in there), but it does pass the Bechdel Test!

Have I convinced you? I hope so. If I have, let me know the next time I see you. I'll Baymax Fistbump with you to your heart's content!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it's not my favorite movie, though it had some great parts, but I especially love Baymax!

    ReplyDelete