Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cults of Librarian Personalities


I went to ACRL 2013 last week, and I'm still thinking thinks about the conference in general. I plan to write a general review/overview of my experience, but I want to take my time with it and get it right. In the meanwhile, there is something from the conference that keeps coming to mind, and that I want to address right away: the Rock Star Librarian / Cults of Librarian Personalities phenomenon.

In addition to nabbing many free pens... I mean, talking to lots of vendors on the exhibit floor... I attended sessions, as one does at conferences. These ranged from very small, such as the roundtable I co-lead, to very VERY big, such as the keynote given by Henry Rollins (I have a huge intellectual crush on him now). At least one of the sessions was something lead/given by someone I consider a Big Name in Libraries, a Rock Star Librarian, an inspiration for a Cult of Librarian Personality. Normally I avoid these people, preferring to spend my time listening to and talking with people who are doers instead of thinkers (thanks, Andrew Whitis, for giving me the perfect phrasing for this).

So why did I go? How did I end up experiencing a Cult of Librarian Personality first hand? Because, despite thinking that particular Big Name is an utter tool (judging from a few brief personal interactions we've had), I also think that Big Name is utterly brilliant. I have read articles and books and blog posts written by Big Name. Heck, I bought a copy of a book by Big Name for myself because I liked it so much I wanted to be able to write in it, guilt-free. The thing is, even though Big Name might be a Big Tool, Big Name also makes me think. I know I can take the ideas I get from Big Name, smoosh them around until they fit my circumstances, and make them my own.

So, no, I'm not a fan of the Rock Star Librarian mentality, but I know those individuals can serve a purpose in this field - at least in my life, they do. They all influence my professional practice, whether it is to avoid making what I see as their mistakes or to moosh their ideas to fit my context. I say, let the Rock Star Librarians rock on. I'll be over here, continuing on in my indie pop star sensation/minor success way, and be happy doing so.

But what about you? What do you all think of this phenomenon? Do you avoid Big Name Librarians at all cost? Seek them out because you love to hate them? Have a true fondness for one or more of them?

14 comments:

  1. I was also at ACRL! I work para-professionally, and it has given me a complex, to the point that I am overly timid about talking to other librarians in conference contexts. I have already vowed to be better in 2015. So, I avoid most librarians, not just big name librarians, I think. I'm really not even sure I have been in the business long enough to know who are the big name librarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, PrettyNicola, I learned as much or more from non-degreed librarians in my early days as a professional. Actually, that was the topic of one of my earliest posts: http://letterstoayounglibrarian.blogspot.com/2011/09/you-say-paraprofessional-i-say.html

      Delete
    2. Well I guess where my complex comes in is that I do have a master's in libraries, and I'm still working in course reserves two years later. Again, it's a complex; I worry that maybe I am just not [whatever] enough to get that "librarian" job title, and it makes me afraid to talk to people. Next year I am packing an extra pair of big girl pants.

      Delete
    3. OK yeah, I know I'm vomit-commenting all over this thread, but I have to agree with Jessica on this one - please don't think less of yourself because you don't have a librarian position. The experience makes you, not the degree. I supervise a fabulous staff, none of whom have librarian positions, and I think they do a better job than some of the librarians I know.

      Delete
  2. PrettyNicola, I'm a paraprofessional, too. I posted about being a not-overly-timid paraprofessional in the library sphere in a post yesterday on TTW: http://tametheweb.com/2013/04/15/ttw10-tame-the-web-is-my-alma-mater-by-emily-lloyd/ Sometimes it is actually easier to interact with librarians, Big and small, that don't work where you do and don't let the "para" box cloud their approach to you.

    Jessica, I consider you a pretty big name librarian! :) I say let them rock on, too, especially if they make you think. Open arrogance and snobbery turn me off, but I don't think they apply to most rock star libs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blush* I don't think of myself as a big name. No book, only one teensy article and one book review, only just recently started presenting...

      But I do agree about interacting with people at other libraries being easier. That's what landed me on Twitter in the first place.

      Delete
    2. Interesting post - because the whole librarian personality thing irritates me. I'd rather see people in my field as people and not as personalities. (Also there is a personal reason I hate Twitter, but we won't go there.) I consider pretty much any article or point of view, though, and make judgments on it independent of any preconceived notion I have of the author or presenter. Jessica, I'm sure you are a rock star though, and I won't hold it against you. :-)

      Delete
    3. P.S. Emily, I've always loved Shelf Check.

      Delete
  3. Also, I can say that, although they are Big Names, I'm a HUGE fan of both Barbara Fister and Carol Kuhlthau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Fister is on the board of Sisters in Crime with me. Jelly? :-)

      Delete
  4. Love this! I've been reading LtaYL since you started, and although I'm in a different arena of librarianship I find your blog to be a great resource--it makes me think! ;)

    I am also of the 'doer rather than thinker' persuasion, and I LOVE your analogy of indie vs. pop.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yeah - very grateful to Andrew for giving me the analogy of thinker vs. doer.

      Delete
  5. every few months, I think I want to be a big name librarian. then I don't. then I do. then one person retweets me and I'm happy enough with that. ... and I also think emily lloyd is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I become a BN because of what I'm doing, so be it, but I never want to lose my focus on the needs of my community. (Not saying Big Names do so permanently, but sometimes I think they lose perspective.)

      Delete