Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Crazy Librarian Lady, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Being a Nerd


Whether you've been one of us for decades or you're in the process of joining our ranks (just got your first job in a library, just started a library science graduate program, etc.), we are all aware of the librarian stereotype held by the rest of the world. There she is - gray hair in a bun, glasses pushed down to the edge of her nose, a stack of books beside, a card catalog behind, and a prim expression on her face. So not me it's not funny.

However, that's not the stereotype I want to address today. Instead, I want to talk about a stereotype that I do fit: the librarian nerd. I didn't realize how much of a stereotype I am until Joe Hardenbrook came up with his fabulously funny Librarian Twitter Bingo. If you restrict the game to Twitter, you can fill out 17 of the 25 blocks. Heck, you could get bingo based on my tweets from the last week alone. If you go further and expand the game to include what I talk about in real life, you can fill in every single box on the game board.

Once I realized how stereotypical I am of members of my online community, I had a mixed reaction. I'm still not 100% sure whether I should bothered by it or proud that I am such an exemplary member of my tribe. I've mostly settled on pride since this is just another instance of me letting my nerd flag fly.

What I'm trying to say here is also another instance of one of my lietmotifs: in everything you do, whether it's a professional or personal activity, you should be yourself. So if you're obsessed with this guy:


Source

Or this gal:

Source

Or even this kind of music:


...it's all cool. Be you. You never know when being yourself will come in handy. It certainly helped me find my place in this profession.

What about you? Do you fit any librarian stereotypes? If so, share details.

EDIT: If you don't fit these stereotypes, don't feel like you have to leave libraries. Those of us who do fit the Librarian Nerd mold have gravitated towards each other on social networks. It's the allure of having someone with whom to fangirl/fanboy squee over the teaser trailer for the new season of Doctor Who.

However, the point I'm trying to make is that you should be yourself. I posted the Frankie Yankovic song precisely because I have a colleague who loves polka. My point is the same as Marlo Thomas', librarians should be "free to be... you and me."

16 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for that Librarian Bingo link. Hilarious and *fills out bingo card* true.

    What with all the nonsense today regarding geek women and whether or not most of us are "real"...it's more important than ever to fly your flag proudly, whether it's Who or Downton or craft beer or Kid Cudi or knitting Elder Gods.

    I'll be over here with my stack of fantasy novels and my whiskey sour, composing overlong screeds about Wonder Woman for my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played D&D in the early 80s, had ColecoVision, access to my family's Commodore (I want to say we had a 64, but it could have been a Vic-20). Sounds like a geek/nerd pedigree to me. Only thing I don't have in common with the male of the geek/nerd species is that I don't worry about which word (geek vs nerd vs whatever else) someone uses to describe me.

      Also, you're welcome for linking to Joe's fab Librarian Twitter Bingo.

      Delete
  2. I was pretty ashamed that not only did I fit that card, but that I had ACTUALLY tweeted about cardigans once. I think it's cool that we're so a like. It's fun to find a place that you fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all librarians are nerds, but there are lots of librarian nerds who inhabit this online world.

      Delete
    2. Obviously, as my co-workers constantly look at me as though I'm insane and turn their noses up when I read a book about zombies. It's good to connect, even virtually, with a community that understand the ins and outs of your career AND spends their free time in a similar manner. (i.e. Watching Dr. Who and knitting)

      Delete
  3. Librarian Bingo pretty much hits the nail on the head, although Harry Potter and The Hunger Games are glaring omissions, but even more so, why isn't liberal politics on there? I see those tweets and retweets from librarians all the time. hey, I send them all the time!

    I wonder how that plays in with the librarian stereotype? I mean, including library school, I've been in this profession for 18 years and, in all that time, I've met maybe 3 librarians who are vocal conservatives. Are women with buns and cardigans who shush people all day supposed to be liberal, conservative, or maybe apolitical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a 1st amendment class as part of my MLIS and was shocked & a bit horrified to hear some of my classmates arguing for censorship and the like.

      Delete
    2. Not all of us who wear cardigans and have buns are conservative shushers. I hate when I have to shush and I'm quite liberal.
      I unfortunately am a stereotypical librarian...2 cats, cardigans, buns, video games, Walking Dead and Harry Potter and knitting.
      I think the next step is embroidered sweaters with birds and Christmas reindeer.

      Delete
    3. Jen, I shush people & own 6 cardigans. I don't wear my hair in a bun right now, but I've been known to in the past. I'm with you on this.

      Delete
    4. I think with the addition of Harry Potter/Censorship and banned books/Hunger Games etc. you could make multiple cards for this bingo game.

      Delete
    5. Marian, I'd vote to add NyanCat, too.

      Delete
  4. Arrrgh, this makes me feel so mainstream! Must do something outside of norm, quick!

    @Rob, most librarians I know are liberal, but I do know quite a few vocal conservatives. Makes for an interesting workplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That mainstream thing was part of what gave me pause. In high school I was sometimes different just to be different.

      Delete
  5. I don't fit all the stereotypes, but some of them I pick up (currently wearing a cardigan) and I'm definitely aware of all of them. At some point in my late 20s, I figured out that it was just OK to be myself, and like what I liked. It's definitely fun to find other people who like the same things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the point I was trying to make, although it took me until my early 30s to figure it out.

      Delete
  6. Gah. Damned blogger/google. OKAY. (It east the grue that is my comments!)

    The bingo scared me. I got 20 boxes (not including free one and also, NO CATS!)

    ReplyDelete